Tuesday, March 31, 2009

March

So March has come to an end. I heard very little from editors in March. Not a single acceptance or rejection came my way, though I suspect April will be quite different (probably not in the way I hope). It was also a good month for me writing wise, especially the last ten days or so, when I realized I needed to actually finish all the stories I had begun in hopes of subbing by April 1st. I've been writing pretty regularly each day and once all those stories were completed and sent off, I was left feeling antsy, with nothing to work on. I also felt that even if every single one came back rejected, I had a good time creating them, so the effort wasn't wasted. In total I sent off six pieces in March. Hopefully at least one of them will get the hint and stay gone.

4 comments:

Jamie Eyberg said...

I don't know why March just seems like a slow month. I think it is the change in seasons.

Here *raise my mug of coffee* is to an acceptance filled April.

K.C. Shaw said...

March was really slow for me too. Hopefully all those editors out there will wake up soon and start sending you those richly-deserved acceptances. :)

Fox Lee said...

Going from winter to Spring made it a strange month for me. Made it feel muuuch longer.

BT said...

Trust me, Nat - it's sooo much longer when going from Summer to Autumn and add another birthday in there as well. I hate the cold.

I'm thinking the lack of March responses has something to do with timing. We all work a little harder in November and December so we can have a few weeks off with a clear conscience.

Editors apparently do very little during December anyway, so the response stop watch wouldn't start for them until January. Most markets seem to have a 90 day query limit, and most editors seem to need a week or two grace over that for busy markets - that time line would lead us nicely into April - so I expect in-boxes to become flooded with acceptances anytime soon...