Sunday, March 8, 2009

Bad Ends

So tonight I finished reading The Younger Gods, the final book in The Dreamers series by David and (the late) Leigh Eddings. All I can say is ARRRGH!

I have always enjoyed their books, but this series left me wanting...more. And I don't mean that in a good way. Each book in the series had the same plot: the good guys race to put defenses in place before an epic battle. Each book also had the same ending: a deus ex machina is hauled out of someone's butt and saves the day. Never once do the protagonists seem like they are in real danger or are struggling against near insurmountable odds. At each step of the way, they seem in total control of the situation. Sure, some unexpected things arise, but they adapt well. Where's the freakin' conflict in that?

On top of all that, the final book ends with the biggest (and damn near literal) deus ex machina of them all, the story ending on a whimper instead of a bang. To make matters worse, someone gets the bright idea to use time travel in order to avert all the trouble in the first place, thus making it so that the events of four books NEVER HAPPENED.

I am utterly frustrated by that ending. I have enjoyed all the previous books by the authors, who did manage to create some good characters and instill them with unique and often humorous traits, but that ending...

I think I'll opt for a horror book next time, before delving back into fantasy.

4 comments:

K.C. Shaw said...

I hate books like that! They might as well have had the main character wake up and discover...it was all just a dream!

That's some bad writing there, or at least bad plotting.

Jamie Eyberg said...

Doh!

Try reading Natural Selection or Meg to get your blood pumping.

Fox Lee said...

I hate it when stuff like that happens : P
It should be done spradically, and the journey better be worth the convenient ending.

BT said...

No excuses - that's just bad writing. How the hell do these things get published?

Thanks for the heads up - these books and that author will never make it onto my reading list.