Monday, June 22, 2009

The Godzilla Tree

I once lived in a small town called Galt, situated in the heart of the San Joaquin valley and located at just about the halfway point between the greater Sacramento and Stockton metro areas. The area is mostly farm land, with patches of trees here and there. When I lived there, I worked in Stockton, 20 miles to the South. One day not long after moving there in 1999, while making the home commute for the first time, I noticed something odd in the distance when I approached Galt from the South. I spied a giant tree far in the distance, located somewhere in the heart of the city. From the freeway, the tree resembled Toho's Titan in profile. I thus dubbed it The Godzilla Tree. A couple times I tried to locate the tree by driving around town, but it seemed to only resemble the Big G from that one particular angle. I looked for that tree everyday while driving home from work. Then in 2003, I sold my house and moved. I rarely get out that way these days, but today I had deliveries in those parts. When returning North, I spotted my old pal The Godzilla Tree. Part of me imagines it uprooting itself and then stomping around town, squishing people like bugs. I'd take a picture of it to post here, but as mentioned earlier, the only way to see its resemblance to Godzilla is from the freeway...and I'm not about to stop and stroll out into the fast lane to get a clear photo.

The Vermin tale continues to develop. Another 400 words tonight. Hopefully more tomorrow. The only death so far is a cat, torn to pieces by...well, you'll just have to wait and see.

7 comments:

Fox Lee said...

Poor kitty. Will it return from the dead to exact revenge?


Word verification: Gravess. Neat!

Unknown said...

The Godzilla Tree sounds like a story waiting to happen.

Alan W. Davidson said...

I think that the mind picks up on things like the Godzilla tree to make the drive less monotonous. When back in Ontario, I had a 40 min. drive, each way to work. Mostly flat countryside, few trees, tobacco, corn...there was a dead tree stump with a few brances that I figure somebody may have been "hung on" in the old days.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I would like to see a story of the godzilla tree as well. It is interesting what the mind picks up on.

Unknown said...

not a cat! throw a person in front of that cat! pets must be saved! people well... you know.

K.C. Shaw said...

The Godzilla Tree sounds really awesome, just in general and as a potential story. Makes you wonder what kind of critters would live in it. :)

Danielle Birch said...

I'd love to read a story about the town of Galt and The Godzilla Tree too, and the type of powers it might have.