Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Damn

One of my favorite writers died yesterday. I first discovered David Eddings back in the 80's and have been a big fan ever since reading his Belgariad series in high school. While I wasn't fond of how he wrapped up his last series, The Dreamers, I still felt the story and characterizations were awesome. He wrote with his wife, who died in 2007. I knew then that given that fact coupled with his age, meant it was unlikely he'd produce anything else. While he probably was done writing, it's still sad to hear of his passing and know there will be no more. His books brought so much enjoyment that I feel like an old friend has died.

On the personal front, today brought a rejection from the Hideous Evermore antho. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't supremely bummed out over this one. In fact, I've gone through a bit of depressed mood as of late, which has contributed to my lack of an online presence. A few rejections over the last two months - most notably ones like HE that I was really, really hoping to crack, had left me contemplating giving up the whole writing thing for a while. Rejected stories sat on my hard drive, as I didn't bother subbing them again. Thus, I decided to lose myself in a few good books and forget about it all.

Today the fog lifted. Sure the HE rejection SUCKED BIGTIME, but that's how the game goes. I subbed that particular story again (The Horror of Pine Hollow) as well as Planting Season, which had sat around since Necrotic Tissue said no thanks to it. Then the rewritten Deadliest Cachalot went out once again. After that I polished a flash piece called Thin Ice that had sat finished for several weeks and sent it on its merry way. So it seems my personal cure for rejection blues is to read a few books, get inspired again and jump back into the game.

Now maybe I can get back to that long neglected Vermin story.

7 comments:

Benjamin Solah said...

Oh I know the feeling.

I wish I could pick up again too but this current edit looks so so daunting.

Aaron Polson said...

You have to just sub those stories again. Best cure for the rejection blues. I usually line up a list of places to send them out, and when the first says no, on to the second.

Jamie Eyberg said...

It is weird how some rejections hurt more than others. Still, we have to have thick skin in this business. . .

Unknown said...

i agree with aaron, somehow subbing it right away brings you hope again, and softens the blow.

and don't worry. i'm pretty sure we all have those days (and by we all, i mean me) :^)

K.C. Shaw said...

I'm glad you're back! I was starting to worry you had really turned into a vampire and were too busy sucking blood to blog. :)

Definitely keep those stories out there. One editor's rejection is another editor's "OMG I must buy this instantly!"

Cate Gardner said...

Get them back out there (says the girl with about five stories dying in her inbox).

Fox Lee said...

Just remind yourself that those stories have a home, you just haven't found it yet! But yeah, I know how it feels when an anthology you have your heart set on says no.