Friday, February 6, 2009

Friday Night Writes

Friday at last. Long hours at work and reoccurring sciatic problems have conspired over the last three days to rob me of time. I've barely managed to get out a couple hundred words each night on Deadliest Cachalot. Tonight and this weekend, that sucker gets finished, by Crom.

Since the story does feature more than one Sperm whale and since I don't have the time or inclination to read the book right now, I added the 1956 film version of Moby Dick to my Netflix queue and have been watching it in snippets over the last few nights. Of course, the heavy duty muscle relaxer that The Other Half gave me on Tuesday night made me pass out by 7:30, so I saw and wrote nothing that night.

I couldn't resist adding a few slight (OK, maybe halfway obscure) similarities to Moby Dick in Deadliest Cachalot. In Melville's book, when Ishmael goes to sign on board a whaling ship, there are three choices: The Pequod, Devil-Dam and Titbit. In my story, I named the three boats The Pinniped, Dippity Dog and Timbuk. The boat transporting my characters is captained by a man named Abrams rather than Ahab. Oh, don't look at me like that, I thought it was cute. :)

Time to check out some sites and blogs and then get to writin'!

2 comments:

K.C. Shaw said...

I like the names. They're homages, but not blatant ones. Good luck on finishing the story! It sounds cool!

Aaron Polson said...

Way to invoke Crom! I'm glad someone else does...everybody stares at me around here.