Wednesday, July 1, 2009

June

So June has come and gone. Overall it was a pretty good month for me. I only had two big rejections. One from the Hideous Evermore antho (and that one really bummed me out) and one from Murky Depths magazine. Technically I got a few rejections from Tweet the Meat since I subbed five stories and they only took one, but those aren't exactly heartbreaking. Oh, and there was that rejection from Dark Recesses, but since that story sucked, I was rather glad it got the boot.

This was my best month ever as far as acceptances. In the Dog House went to Everyday Weirdness. Thin Ice found a home at Flashes in the Dark. The aforementioned Tweet the Meat took a tweet story I refer to as Invasion and Lurid Lit accepted Pruritus Maximus for their new print journal. So, yay! Thus the grand total was:

Rejections - 7
Acceptances - 4

The year is now half over. 2009 marks my first ongoing attempt at carving out a writing career. While I did sub a few pieces in late 2008, I think of this year as my beginning phase. In years (and decades past) I'd go through the occasional period where I'd hammer out some crappy stories and sub them a time or two before calling it quits, but this time around I was determined to stick with it. I have to say, I exceeded my expectations. I fully expected to have a file overflowing with rejections by this point, with very few (if any) acceptances, but my rejection/acceptance ratio for the year is not too shabby. So while many great markets have yet to be cracked by yours truly, I'm doing well enough that I feel that I am learning and progressing to the point where it will only be a matter of time before I see my name...or at least, my pseudonym, in them.

Now bring on July!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey I just noticed that we share a ToC in Sand #5. Looking forward to reading your stuff.

Danielle Birch said...

Yes, bring on July. Congrats for the 4 acceptances, may there be more this month.

Alan W. Davidson said...

Congrats on the acceptances...and for sticking with it and exceeding your expectations. I need to get off my lazy ass and finish the 4 stories I've got in various stages of completion.

Anonymous said...

Go, you!! :D

Seriously, it's an accomplishment. It's hard to be rejected, and I've had at least three close writer friends just give up this year because they can't take it. I understand the feeling sometimes, but that's not the way to get published.

Aaron Polson said...

Good month. Glad you've decided to stick with it. That's what it takes, really. Fortitude.

K.C. Shaw said...

Four acceptances is fantastic! It's like four clicks up the roller coaster's first tall hill, getting ready for the crazy-fun ride ahead. :)

Barry Napier said...

Hey man, for a first attempt at carving out your career, it's been a great year. Keep plugging away!

Jamie Eyberg said...

Wow! Four acceptances is awesome! And this is just your first year in the biz.

Cate Gardner said...

Congrats on not only a good month, but a great first year too. :D

Merc said...

Way to go on June with the acceptances! Congrats. :)

I just read your Tweet the Meat story and liked it a lot. *continues snickering*

Hope July goes even better for you. :D

~Merc