Monday, June 21, 2010

Review: Megalodon

I’d never heard of this film until I saw the DVD on the shelf at the electronics store. Since it was cheap, I bought it. Sharks both scare and fascinate me, and I’ve read up on them quite a bit over the years. I was already familiar with Megalodons, having read about them in the late 70’s. After teenage years spent at the beach surfing (during which I had my own encounter with a shark), I’ve grown more fascinated with them, so movies like this always interest me. Too bad the film is rather plodding, slow and underdeveloped. I watched it once. Then I watched it three more times for this review. That’s enough for me.

Lessons imparted by this film:

1. The best way to provide oxygen to a person suffering a panic attack, is to crowd around them in a tight circle.
2. Savage storms strong enough to prevent rescue at sea will not produce much in the way of wind or rain.
3. Engaging in tag with an eleven ton Carcharodon Megalodon is not the smartest game to play.
4. Deep sea mining routinely makes use of anti-matter for demolition purposes.

Go to review.

In other news, my writing has once again stalled. Halfway through this year and I've written six or seven thousand words, maybe. Right now, I'm all about the world building; researching various things, using different programs to draw maps of my made-up locales and so forth. This in itself has rekindled another old hobby: Dungeons and Dragons. I have absolutely no one to play the game with and am not about to seek out other gamers via the local game shops, but I find myself looking at all my old D & D books and wishing I had managed to collect all the ones I had wanted. In times past I would have been SOL, but with fabulous things like Ebay, I can find those older books I missed out on 15 and 20 years ago and finally obtain them. Somebody stop me before I max out my credit card!

6 comments:

Fox Lee said...

Is the movie based on the book(s) by Steve Alten? Because I loved the sequel to his first book.

Danielle Birch said...

I don't have an Ebay problem, I have a Book Depository problem. I can't stop buying books from them. They have free postage worldwide and reasonable prices. And there are so many books to buy. My credit card sympathises with yours.

Jamie Eyberg said...

I was going to ask the same thing as Nat. I think I have most of Alten's books on my shelf right now. In fact, I just picked up The Locke over the weekend.

Alan W. Davidson said...

It sounds like a poor cousin to Jaws. Arrrr! poor Robert Shaw!

Jameson T. Caine said...

Nat and Jamie - this movie has nothing to do with Alten's "Meg" series. There's been a Meg film rumored for a decade now, but it's never materialized. Meanwhile, the low budget film makers took the Megalodon idea and ran with it.

Anonymous said...

I was all excited because I totally dug the books. But if they're unrelated, then pfffft! I watched The Sharkman instead. Let's discuss tonic immobility!

-Mercedes